For a goldfish aquarium, selecting the right plants is essential because goldfish are known to nibble on or uproot plants. Here are some of the best live plants that can be used in a goldfish tank:
1. Crinum Calamistratum: This plant is known for its slow growth and long, crinkly leaves that can reach up to 4 feet long. It's a robust plant that can withstand the higher pH and harder water conditions typical of goldfish tanks. Its tough and thick leaves are less likely to be damaged by goldfish activity
2. Anubias: Anubias is highly regarded as one of the best plants to keep with goldfish due to its impressive hardiness. It can thrive in a range of lighting conditions and is suitable for both partial and full submersion
3. Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri): This plant is preferred because goldfish tend not to find it appetizing. It also has a rapid growth rate, which can be beneficial in outpacing any potential damage from the fish
4. Java Fern: Another recommended species, Java fern, is known for its hardiness and ability to tolerate varying water conditions. This makes it ideal for beginner aquarists. It is important to ensure that these plants are well-rooted in the substrate to prevent them from being uprooted by goldfish
5. Hornwort: Included in the recommended list of plants, Hornwort is resilient and can survive in different water conditions, which is beneficial in a goldfish tank where conditions can fluctuate due to the fish's activities
When introducing plants to a goldfish tank, it's important to ensure they are securely planted and to provide adequate lighting to maintain their health and growth. These plants not only add to the aesthetic of the tank but also contribute to a healthier environment for the goldfish by improving water quality and providing hiding spots.